Dos and Don’ts for Christmas

In order to keep your pet happy and healthy this Christmas, please read our DOs and DON’Ts.

DON’T feed your pet left overs from your Christmas meal. Poultry bones can get stuck or cause perforations, and rich food can cause vomiting and diarrhoea.

DON’T feed your pets christmas cake or mince pies as rasins (and grapes) are toxic. Some dogs can eat quite a few grapes or rasins without any obvious side effects, others can eat just a few and suffer fatal kidney failure.

DON’T feed your pet chocolate, it’s another potential toxin. (For more information see our winter poisons post.)

DON’T leave pets unattended around your Christmas tree. Pets love playing and chewing with bright shiny objects, including fairy light wires. Electrocution or gastro-intestinal blockages could occur.

DO ensure that your pets have someone quiet they can take themselves off to, if you are expecting lots of guests.

DO ensure your pets are microchipped so they can be identified. They may get cold in winter weather or scared by Christmas festivities and seek shelter in unlikley places.

DO wrap up short haired dogs, (and those that are young or old), with dog jackets, if you are out walking in very cold weather.

DO wash your dog’s feet if they have been walking on gritted pavements. The salt can be very irritant to their paws.

DON’T allow pets near frozen ponds or canals. However often people are warned of the dangers, nearly every year fatalities (both animal and human) occur.

DON’T GIVE PETS AS PRESENTS! A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.

Comments are closed.