Grape/raisin poisoning in dogs and lily poisoning in cats

                 

Many dog owners are unaware that grapes and raisins can be poisonous to their pet. At present the toxic substance has yet to be identified, but varies significantly between different types of grapes and raisins. Some appear to cause no problems, while others (even if eaten in small quantities) can lead to fatal kidney failure. The Veterinary Poisons Informataion Service’s current advice is that regardless of the quantity consumed your dog should to be taken to the vets immediately where appropriate treatment can be given. This usually consists of making your dog vomit, then supporting his kidneys with 48 hours of intravenous fluid therapy (a drip).

Many cat owners are equally unaware that lily’s are poisonous to their pet. Unfortunately the toxic mechanism is currently not understood, but the end result is also kidney failure. It is believed that all parts of the plant are poisonous to cats and even a small exposure to the pollen can be potentially very dangerous.

If you have any concerns about your dog or cat coming into contact with these items, please call the practice at any time.

Comments are closed.